Ingredients - Biscuits
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter, very cold
- 1 cup crushed Nacho Cheese flavored Doritos
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons mixed chopped parsley and oregano
- 1.5 cups buttermilk
Ingredients - Pimento Cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 oz mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 roasted red pepper, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 8 oz sharp cheddar
- 8 oz Monterey Jack
- Side of bread & butter pickles
Shop for Ingredients Below
*Check items against the ingredients list to ensure all ingredients are accounted for
Instructions - For the Biscuits
Spray a half sheet pan with oil or butter. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, ground mustard, cayenne pepper and baking soda. Add the shortening and use your fingertips to pinch it into the flour mixture to form small, pea sized pieces.
Using a box grater, grate the cold butter into the flour mixture and toss until all of the pieces are coated. Pinch the butter into the flour for about a minute. Toss in the Doritos, grated cheddar and herbs. Combine until evenly distributed. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture, and pour in the buttermilk. Mix until the dough forms a shaggy mass and there are no dry bits of flour left. The dough should be slightly sticky.
Lightly scoop or spoon (NOT packed) a heaping 1/4 cup of dough into mounds on the prepared sheet pan. Bake until the tops are golden brown and crisp, about 14 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving hot. Serve with Pimento Cheese and Bread & Butter pickles.
Instructions - For the Pimento Cheese
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese, mayo, garlic, cayenne and salt. Mix until smooth and well combined. Stir in the red peppers with the mixer on low speed. Add the cheeses in and mix until the mixture is somewhat smooth. Taste for salt. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.