Turkey Taco Lettuce Wrap
Easy and fun to eat, this gluten-free, healthy turkey lettuce wrap recipe has zesty Tex-Mex flavor. Serve the lettuce wraps with tortilla chips and your favorite salsa.
- ⅔ cup brown basmati rice,
- 1⅓ cups water,
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil,
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey,
- 1 medium onion, , finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, , preferably ancho
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin,
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder,
- ½ teaspoon salt,
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper,
- 1 cup canned (or cooked) black beans, , rinsed
- ½ cup prepared guacamole,
- ½ cup reduced-fat sour cream,
- 12 large leaves Boston lettuce (from 2 heads),
Bring rice and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer, cover and cook until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add turkey, onion, pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and cayenne; cook, stirring, until the turkey is cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes. Add black beans and cook until heated thorough, about 2 minutes. Serve with the cooked rice, guacamole and sour cream in the lettuce leaves.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.