Best Light Crab Cakes with Quick Jalapeno-Lime Sauce
Crab cakes can be an appetizer or a meal, and we’ve got a recipe that will garner rave reviews. This crowd pleaser is topped with a bright jalapeño-lime sauce. Light and flavorful, our crab cakes recipe is called “best” for a reason!
- 1 cup panko crumbs (divided use)
- 2 tablespoons Signature Kitchens™ light mayonnaise (divided use)
- 5 tablespoons Lucerne® light sour cream (divided use)
- 2 tablespoons Lucerne® egg substitute (or one egg white)
- 2 1/4 tablespoons Dijon mustard (divided use)
- 2 green onions, white and green parts (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (or similar)
- 2 cups fresh crabmeat (picked over for shells (about 10 ounces))
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (add a teaspoon more as needed)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon seeded and minced jalapeno pepper (add more to taste)
- OPTIONAL: Pepper to taste
Place 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs, along with 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon light sour cream, egg substitute, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, green onions, Worcestershire sauce, and Old Bay seasoning, in a medium bowl and stir to blend.
With rubber scraper or spoon, mix in the crabmeat and shape (with clean hands) into eight small crab cakes about 1/2-inch thick. Place the remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl and gently dip the crab cakes into the breadcrumbs, coating them on all sides.
Place canola oil in a medium nonstick frying pan and begin to heat over medium-high heat. Add the crab cakes and cook until the bottoms are golden brown (about 3 minutes.) Gently flip them over and brown the other side (about 3 minutes more). Serve with the Quick Jalapeno-Lime Sauce.
For the Quick Jalapeno-Lime Sauce, in a small bowl, combine a tablespoon of light mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard. Add pepper to taste if desired.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.