Sweet news! You can fit cake, cookies, candy or other sweets into your eating plan and manage your weight.
The key is to stay within your calorie budget and get the basics of a balanced, nutritious diet first: plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Then, if calories allow, enjoy an occasional sensible-size serving of a favorite sweet treat.
Here are 10 smart tips to have your cake and eat it too:
- Enjoy a small slice of angel food cake topped with fresh berries.
- Choose one "fun-size" candy bar or a couple of chocolate kisses—and resist the temptation to go back for "just one more."
- "Make cents" by packing your own portion-controlled sealable plastic bags with one serving of your favorite cookie.
- Dip strawberries in a small puddle of chocolate sauce.
- Savor a snack-size cup of creamy pudding.
- Buy single-serving ice cream treats such as ice cream sandwiches or fudge bars instead of a tempting tub of ice cream.
- Grab a container of a decadent-flavored "light" yogurt like key lime pie or chocolate mousse.
- Bake an apple. Core a small apple, fill with raisins, chopped nuts, cinnamon and a little brown sugar and bake.
- Slice a banana lengthwise and sauté in a bit of butter or margarine and brown sugar. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of chopped pecans.
- Freeze grapes for a refreshingly cool treat.